Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Wildcat Sanctuary: Crazily Hypocritical and Dense


Here is further proof that when you deal with anti-pet/zoo/captivity ‘sanctuaries’ such as Big Cat Rescue in Tampa and the Sandstone, Minnesota-based Wildcat Sanctuary, you will be faceing logical fallacies, deceit, and shameless hypocrisy. 

This particular rescue popped on my radar this week when I viewed this insidiously stupid post of theirs:
 



Seriously? So the writer of this post is actually collecting stories of  “medical and behavioral problems”  involving hybrid cats—and here’s the kicker—they are outright rejecting successful stories of happily owned hybrids by declaring that no one post any photos of them.
 

What is it called when one only seeks facts to support their ingrained, unchangeable, and often erroneous belief?
 

Confirmation Bias.
 

One of the most commonly employed logical fallacies of the anti-exotic nutters.

 Here, this biased attitude is illustrated with little awareness of its blatancy, appearing almost ironic and humorous. But it is not intentional satire, it’s real, and that makes it thoroughly depressing. 

What’s worse, out of all the controversies of the exotic pet trade, hybrids have got to be the most ridiculous pet to complain about because they are essentially (and this definitely applies to Bengals) domesticated cats. 

Bengals are the same size as non-hybrids and are pretty much the same animal with more ‘dog-like’ activity.
 

 Of course they can have “behavioral problems”, as do many dogs and cats. If I were an idiot, I would run around collecting those stories so I could announce to the world that dogs and cats make bad pets and are suffering in the pet trade.

Believe it or not, this is not the only disgraceful element of this ‘sanctuary’ I’ve witnessed this week.


On May 14th, the private sanctuary celebrated the birthdays of their twin one year old white tigers.


SAY WHAT?


What the hell is a ‘sanctuary’ doing with baby animals

As many should know, babies are not in need of homes unlike the displaced adults. Cute baby tigers are in high demand. Sanctuaries exist to provide homes with their limited space for those animals that need it the very most. Just where exactly were these cubs ‘rescued’ from?


Why, it was the AZA-accredited Michigan City Zoo! What’s extra amusing is that you cannot find this information anywhere on the news reports or on the sanctuary’s website; I discovered this in the exotic animal circles on Facebook. Here is the origin of the animals.


And guess what else? WHAT. WHAT. WHAT?? They are asking for donations!

 “They quickly outgrew their temporary space at the sanctuary and are looking forward to the new and improved “wild space” being prepared for them at the sanctuary this summer. 
The Wildcat Sanctuary has a “Wild Space” fundraising campaign to raise funds for an in-ground, tiger-sized pool for these two, as well as the big trees and high perches they’ll love.  Since this will be their home for the next 20+ years, they’ll need plenty of room to roam to live wild at heart the rest of their days at The Wildcat Sanctuary.”


ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
 
Either they are lying, or they seriously don’t have the means to care for the animals that they did NOT rescue, which is the mark of a terrible owner. You do NOT acquire animals if you do not have the funds to house them when they get older, hoping to ‘cross that bridge when you come to it’ by begging for other people’s money.
 
That is despicable.
 
No wonder the Wildcat Sanctuary can’t get their facts straight. They probably assume all exotic pet owners are as irresponsible and pathetic as them.

5 comments:

  1. Are you an exotic animal breeder or dealer? Full disclosure would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of logical fallacies, my critics often try and use the ol' 'poison the well' technique against me, as though discrediting me as an 'animal exploiter' somehow invalidates my arguments. So very often the self-righteous animal rights followers feel that if they have the most moral ideology, the veracity of what they do and say is not relevant, and that's very sad. No, I do not breed or deal, I am just a pet owner like millions of others. The DNA of some of the species I own might not be acceptable to some.

      Delete
  2. I have wondered if many sanctuary/rescue owners are so blatantly anti-pet because they only see the bad stories. Say if a particular animal species is abused and neglected 5-10% of the time (in many, especially domestic animals, I'm sure it's more), then those few percent is going to be 90-95% of what the sanctuary owner sees, because it's what they do!

    So they are going to sell to the public (intentionally or not; here it is DEFINITELY intentional deceit) that ALL or nearly all animals are being abused and abandoned by their owners.

    Also, an awful lot of sanctuary owners and people campaigning against pet ownership seem to be failed pet owners themselves, as you point out at the very end. They think "Well, if *I* couldn't do it, then obviously no one else can! And no one else should be allowed to have these animals, except me!"

    I think I know what I'm talking about, because I've been like this with parrots. Got a cockatoo at the age of fifteen, failed miserably, and rehomed him four years later. Realized that large parrots make bad pets... so then I went really anti-pet on parrots for several years. I still think the present aviculture is FAR from perfect (commercial hand-feeding, wing clipping young birds and putting them in small cages, irresponsible breeders, etc.), but I've become far more "allergic" to opinions with an animal rights-scent in the last couple of years, since I went pro-exotics and have been through all this SeaWorld/Blackfish bullshit.

    So while my dream since I was in my late teens have been to have a parrot sanctuary, and it is definitely still my goal, I will NOT be one of these "holier than thou", ideological, lying assholes that so many scamtuaries seem to be. Buying animals not in need, lying about where they're from, and then weeping crocodile tears to the public about their poor, abused animals so they will pay for what is essentially your pets. All the while pushing for bans so that no one *but them* will be able to have those animals. That is what BCR and WCS are doing, and I'm sure, MANY more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear. I too would like doing some rescue work alongside my life choice of buying certain animals. The 'R' word is utilized way too often to manipulate people and extort their money.

      Delete
  3. Hello, I've nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award 2017 and I've tagged you in my most recent post on my page to explain what it is and how to accept (http://katie-lois.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/blogger-recognition-award.html). I love your blog and hope you like mine too X

    ReplyDelete